One of the first problems that new online gambling operators face is choosing a jurisdiction to obtain a license. LicensingAid experts share the world ranking of countries where it is guaranteed to get a gaming license for online casinos.
This is an information and reference article that does not promote services or goods (in accordance with part 2 of p. 2 of the Federal Law of June 13, 2006 No. 38-FZ “On Advertising”, is not an advertisement).
Gambling license – this is a prerequisite for new operators or existing brands entering new markets. Jurisdictions around the world offer licenses, and each has its own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to matters such as fees, taxes, and reputation.
Let's move on directly to rating:
1) Curaçao. One of the most popular and liberal jurisdictions, which is known for moderate requirements for opening a gambling business and low taxation. It is expected that in 2023 there will be changes in the licensing system: a new independent regulator – Curacao Gaming Authority, and independent B2C and B2B licenses will also be issued. In the meantime, the global community is waiting for further clarification from the regulatory authorities.
As far as licenses are concerned, Curacao has a master license and a sublicense. Curacao allows you to organize all available gambling games under one license.
2) Malta. The first EU state to fully recognize the legality of online gambling by approving the Remote Gaming Regulations in 2004. The license from the Malta Gaming Regulatory Commission (MGA) is highly valued by operators. It is also known as a guarantor of quality and legitimacy, but getting it is not always easy. In Malta, you can get two licenses – to conduct both B2C and B2B activities. B2C licenses, in turn, are divided into four types, each of which allows the holder to organize different types of activities.
3) Isle of Man. Isle of Man online casino license – recognized mark of quality. It is quite in demand among operators. Although the Isle of Man is very attractive due to its liberal legislation and competitive taxation policy, the licensing process here is not the easiest.
Here you can get four types of licenses, among which there are those that are available to potential operators who have never worked in the gambling industry before. At any time, if any restriction is violated, the license may be revoked by the Gambling Commission.
4) Gibraltar. The Gibraltar license has earned the trust of players and software providers. The Licensing Department considers only companies with experience in the gambling industry, other licenses issued by recognized jurisdictions, good financial condition and a real business plan. There are special tax privileges and no VAT.
5) Kanawake. One of the most sought-after among operators due to a reliable regulatory body and the absence of taxes. The Kahnawake Gaming Commission has established itself as a body for fair and responsible gaming. The jurisdiction has a 0% tax rate and no additional gambling tax, and a relatively low license fee.
“The license allows the client to legally operate the gambling business. It is proof of integrity and creates a reputation for being a reliable business in the eyes of B2B vendors and players. In addition, the license will allow you to work in regulated markets and protect you from all sorts of problems. When entering new markets, obtaining a license is mandatory, – notes Nikola Kyloušková, Associate at LicensingAid.
LicensingAid – it is a one-stop-shop for companies that would like to enter the world of legal gambling. The company assists in the preparation of documentation and obtaining licenses, as well as provides financial and business advice. LicensingAid offers a wide range of services including account opening, AML compliance, iGaming licensing, and trademark advice for gambling companies.
More about LicensingAid: www.onlinegamblinglicense.org.
We remind you that in the Russian Federation, from July 1, 2009, outside specially created gambling zones (in the Republic of Crimea, Altai, Krasnodar , Primorsky Krai, Kaliningrad region) gambling can only be carried out in bookmakers and sweepstakes. All other gambling establishments can be opened exclusively in gambling zones (Federal Law No. 244-FZ of December 29, 2006).